Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Never Forget

Today is my 2 year Cancerversary. I feel everything about it. Sad, mad, lucky. As the day was approaching I really had no feelings about it. But last night it hit a little hard. And then this morning. I read my blogs from 2 years ago and just the enormity of it all was like a weight on me. But once I got over it I had a great day. It was weird because I felt all day like today was a celebration. Like it was my remission day instead of my cancerversary. But I guess it is a celebration. Its been 2 years since I heard those awful words and I'm still here and I'm healthy!

I started off my day doing the same thing I did right after I got the news. With a large McDonald's Coke. Then I went to Target of course. I took this picture because it has (almost) all of my favorite things- McDonald's Coke. school supplies, Target, Coach! What a dream! The school supplies are for Mackenzie's playroom. Hard to believe next year they will actually be for kindergarten.


I ran more errands then went early to pick up Mackenzie. Every Wednesday in the summer they have a special show at daycare so I watched the magician with her. And I got to hold my friends baby! After we left, we met George in Crystal City for dinner. We went to Ted's Montana Grill. This was the quote at our table. I thought it was fitting for today. 


Afterwards we went next store to Cold Stone! Nothing better than having a milkshake to celebrate! 


When Mackenzie and I walked back to my car this was on the ground. It was kind of out of place because someone just wrote these numbers on the ground and I'm not really sure why. But I parked in the spot labeled 23. July 23. The day that changed everything. 


I labeled this post Never Forget because I have been feeling lately that everyone is forgetting what happened to me. I had cancer. Really bad cancer that spread. I had body parts amputated, poison poured into my body, multiple surgeries and procedures and a laser that burned me so bad I had blisters. That happened. I know that it is easier to forget. I really wish I could. But then I look in the mirror and see my 9 scars and I remember. I look at my lymphedema sleeve and I remember that my cancer caused my lymph nodes to be removed. My hair. My short brown hair. 

I was telling George after my fundraiser last weekend that cancer is so weird because some of the people that you expect to be there aren't. And the people that you never expect to be there or don't know well step up in huge ways you'd never expect. People I didn't know made my family dinner when I was going through chemo. Friends (namely the Morrisons) took our daughter at a moments notice on multiple occasions. Its amazing that you can meet/become great friends with people because of this awful disease. Things that I will never be able to repay no matter how hard I try. 

Back to the fundraiser. It was AMAZING!! My fear is always that no one will show up. But they always do! And we made a lot of money this year. And of course you can still donate online! {link} I'm probably going to close it the first week of August so I can get The III B's Foundation and Good Wishes their checks! I'll share pictures when I get more. I hardly took any pictures but my brother took pictures for me which I appreciated! I can't wait to share final totals. I'm hoping we made more than last year! 

As always thanks to everyone for all of your support. I knew when I was anticipating this diagnosis that I would want to tell people so that it would be out there. I was hoping that people would rally around me and you did. It is an amazing feeling. 

No comments:

Post a Comment