Sunday, December 1, 2013

Another cancerversary

Ugh I'm so upset with myself that its been 2 months since I last updated. I have a few saved drafts that I started and never published. I don't know why I never publish them. Usually I write them then want to look over them again later and then I forget.

Anyway, today is another cancerversary for me. Its the day that I shaved my head a year ago.
Losing my hair was one of the scariest things about doing chemo for me. Especially after I made it through my first chemo pretty well. I think everyone with cancer goes through this short period of thinking that they'll be the ONLY one that doesn't loose their hair. But I remember waking up the Wednesday before I shaved my head pulling out clumps of hair. Even kids at Mackenzie's daycare noticed.

December 1, 2012 before head shaving. Picture by Christy Jewell Photography
I always identified as a red head and I didn't know how to be anything but that. I was glad that I was able to make it through that day without tears and to realize that I am me and it doesn't matter what hair color I have. That being said, I HATE my hair right now. I don't even know whats going on with it. I wet it and brush it in the morning and then thats it. I don't really think about it the rest of the day. I miss long hair a lot. I miss brushing it off my shoulders or putting it in a pony tail. We have all these pictures around the house and I feel like that's not me anymore. Its not good or bad. It is what it is. But I miss it. I know its growing back (very slowly it seems) but I just wish like once you got the all clear you just got your hair back! Fairs fair!

I've been doing all right mentally lately. I'm sure people think once you hear the words remission it all just goes away. It seems that it is almost harder to deal with after you hear you are in remission, for me at least. I don't have the adrenaline pumping through my veins anymore and now I have to really feel every emotion I was running over last year. I had an appointment the end of October with the nurse practitioner about "survivorship". We went over everything that happened from the day the tumor was found until I finished radiation and talked about future. It was a good appointment. I had a lot of questions I was afraid to ask answered to my satisfaction. I got a paper that has everything in it that I can give to my future doctors which will be so helpful to me.

We also got our rent letter for our one little frozen egg. I immediately broke into tears. I have such a hard time with that little egg. I am dying to see if it would become a baby. But its an expensive experiment. Not to mention I would need a carrier for our little baby. Its upsetting because its all so expensive and I feel like they just take advantage for people who are so vulnerable. But that little egg is our very last hope. So if in 1 year and 9 months we can't get pregnant on our own that little egg is our only chance. Its a lot of pressure for a little egg. On the other hand, we might get pregnant right away and not need that little egg. But I'm glad its there. As my nurse practitioner keeps reminding me, its not the quantity its the quality. So I'm choosing to believe we have a very strong little egg. I mean it is part of me right??

Oh and how could I forget. Last month I turned THIRTY!! I am loving it. Its weird to say still but anytime someone says "29 again" I always say "nope, I'm 30!". I earned this age! Plus 30 is going to be an age that I don't have cancer so I'm really happy about that. 28 & 29 are always going to be associated with cancer so 30 and 2014 are going to be cancer free!! I'm hoping that I will be writing more often. It really is therapeutic for me to write down how I feel still. Thanks again for sticking by me this last year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment