Sunday, September 23, 2012

2 months

It's been 2 whole months since my diagnosis. I can't believe it's been that long and it feels like forever ago. I'm feeling better and better everyday although the mornings are a little tough to get me going. I've been sleeping pretty good and I'm only taking Tylenol as needed and my antibiotic. Tomorrow I go back to the plastic surgeon where I'm hoping to get most of my FOUR drains out. They're very annoying!

I thought I'd share some pictures from the last week. This is the shirt that I wore to my surgery. I thought it was very appropriate, even though I wore it for about 10 minutes at the hospital!
 
This is the gift basket that I got from the hospital and The IIIB's Foundation. If you feel like you want to do something for me/ in honor of me, please consider donating money to their organization. They are based in Leesburg, VA and help put these baskets together when women have mastectomy's. It has a TON of goodies in it!
 
Probably the cutest bouquet of flowers I have EVER gotten/seen in my life. Man does work know me well or what! I LOVED these flowers. So unique and original. I got a couple of beautiful bouquets in addition to this. I love having fresh flowers around. Also, I got a gift certificate for pajamas. Best gift idea EVER!!
 
 
This is my being real moment. This is what my stomach looks like with the drains laying on them. Its gross. I look like alien babies are trying to escape from my stomach and their arms are hanging out. I really, really, really hope I get them out tomorrow!
 
This is my breathing tube that we have named Maxine (thanks to Christen). The hard part, besides actually getting to the 2500 mark, is to remember you have suck in and now blow out. I know it helps prevent pneumonia and keeps your lungs working while you're more sedentary but that's about all I know about it.
 
 
Lastly, I saw this on pinterest a lot, mostly in tattoo form, but its really helped me a lot lately.
 
 
Anchors are of course a symbol of stability, safety and strength and it was something that I really needed to find the last couple weeks before surgery. I found a great print on etsy that used the Bible verse from Hebrews 6:19: We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. I'm not super religious but sometimes when things happen greater than your understanding you have to cling to something. This is what I've clung to. On Monday, when Kelly took me to the Cathedral in DC, I looked under the alter and saw an anchor there. Its times like that that give you your biggest hope. When the symbols match up and maybe someone or something bigger than you or your understanding is really there.
 
Also, I got to see Mackenzie today. It was fantastic! She looked a foot taller and was just amazing. I'm still 100% glad that I've spent the last week at my parents house and have been away from her but I'm ready to go home tomorrow and play mom again. Even though I can't hold her for another 5ish weeks, I can still let her sit on my lap and I can still hug her and kiss her and love her. I'm so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment