Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. Good food and family...what more could you need!

I'm thankful for a lot this year. I'm so thankful that I was diagnosed when I was. Even though I don't want to have cancer. I'm so lucky that I found out that I have it when I did. Not knowing about it wouldn't mean it wasn't there and that's what I have to keep telling myself.

Thanksgiving day we woke up and I made cinnamon buns and we watched the Thanksgiving Day Parade. Mackenzie wore her Cinderella dress and danced to the music for 3 hours.


After the parade, we went to my parents house. We played and played until dinner was almost ready and then Mackenzie just couldn't stay awake anymore. She slept through Thanksgiving dinner, just like she did 2 years ago at her first Thanksgiving! But the rest of us ate and enjoyed it. It was delicious!


Friday, my brother and I went to Gravely Point and Arlington National Cemetery. Our grandparents are buried there but I have never been there to sight see. I always just go to see them. We walked to where the Kennedy's are buried and to the Lee House. Then we walked to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We waited almost 45 minutes to watch the changing of the guard. It was a cool ceremony to see.

View from Lee House
Changing of the guards


I love this time of year so much. I really can't wait to decorate for Christmas. I all ready started on my ornament wreath that's been going around Pinterest! And I'm excited that Mackenzie gets holidays more and more. She knows that Christmas is Jesus' birthday AND that Santa brings presents. She picked out Princess wrapping paper and wanted to open it and I had to tell her that Santa only accepts wrapping paper that is brand new. So far that's worked!

Next weekend is my head shaving party and I'm still not ready for it. I know either I shave my head or my hair falls out. I'd rather feel like its under my control, even if its not. I bought a new hat today and I've received 2 free hats. Luckily its winter so hats are totally appropriate AND I don't have to worry about my head getting a sun burn all the time! I think that hardest part of losing your hair is that you start to look sick. Right now strangers have no idea that I have cancer. Next weekend it will be obvious. Not when I'm wearing a wig but I don't really plan on wearing it that often. But luckily starting March 1 my hair will start to grow back. I'm hoping it will be the same color and just as thick. Regardless of the color it will be SO healthy! I'm going to miss picking all my split ends!

No comments:

Post a Comment