Monday, April 22, 2013

Radiation so far

I'm on my 3rd week of radiation. The first Monday I went was just another planning day and they did x-rays and set me up like I was getting treatment. It was really emotional for me for some reason. It took all I had to make it through without crying on the table. But once I got to my car I had a huge breakdown. I think its just emotional to start a new treatment and I made a connection with that particular parking garage and going to see Mackenzie in the NICU everyday (which you can see from the garage). When I was walking from my car to treatment that day the NICU was the first thing I noticed. I felt like I was back 3 years ago. When we brought Mackenzie home from the NICU I was SO happy to never have to look at those halls again but here I am. Walking the same halls for the THIRD time now. And none of them for happy reasons.

I think radiation is also a little more emotional because its a DAILY reminder that I have cancer. During my 6 week treatment hiatus between chemo and radiation I felt like a normal person (minus being bald). But now I have to stop my day and remember that I have cancer. Maybe it will be a good thing. Making me face reality and not be able to live in denial. I think I live in a happy place in between reality and the past.

Tuesday of that week I started to actually get radiation. Its really easy treatment. You just lay on a table. The nurses tug the sheet under you this way or that way to match up my tattoos and then they start. The radiation hits me in 3 different places but the whole treatment, including set up, usually takes about 2.5 Taylor Swift songs. The day I thought about timing it in my head they started her cd from the beginning as I was getting on the table so that's the only reference I have! I think the fatigue is starting to set in. But I'm also sick so I'm not sure if its being sick or the radiation. Probably both.

I finally have a set schedule. 12:15 every day. I was hoping to go before work but the only time they could offer was 8:45 am and that wasn't going to work.

Sign in the waiting room at radiation.
Besides that everything has been going great. I feel great. My hair is SLOWLY growing back. But you can actually see it now which is awesome. Except that its starting to look dark which makes me nervous! I will be so sad if my red hair doesn't come back.

Peach Fuzz!!




Yesterday some daycare friends (girls from ballet class and their moms) and Mackenzie and I went to see a Cinderella Children's Ballet. Mackenzie loved it! She thinks she is a prima ballerina all ready. Afterwards we went to dinner in Reston Town Center at Clydes with our friends and George came and met us with some other dads. Mackenzie had some much fun with her friends and made a new friend...a Great Pyrenees! 

Lastly, my Susan G Komen walk team is getting close to its fundraising goal. And I am $49 away from my 2nd goal of $500! I started at $200 but upped it after I got $201. My team is also doing a 50/50 raffle if anyone is interested in buying tickets. 1 ticket for $2 of 3 tickets for $5. Click this link to donate to my page!! Thanks again for your continued support! 


No comments:

Post a Comment