Saturday, May 11, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!


Mom:

I’m not sure exactly how to start. There really aren’t words to say how I feel. You’re amazing. 10 months ago I couldn’t have imagined how much our lives could have changed but if anything good has come from it, it has brought us SO much closer.

I can’t imagine how it felt to have your daughter be diagnosed with the same exact disease that you battled just months before her diagnosis. Honestly, I pray I never have to feel that feeling. And although I know it’s been a very scary journey, you have never wavered from my side. You have been my biggest supporter and cheerleader, my sounding board, my shoulder to cry on and my care giver when I literally couldn't care for myself. You never hesitated to empty drains, shower me, wipe my tears or come with me endless appointments.

I said towards the beginning of this cancer journey that I was the luckiest cancer patient in the world. I am surrounded by the strongest friends and family. This has been really hard. Surgery is hard. Chemo is hard. Shaving my head is hard. Radiation is hard. I try not to think about how hard this is for everyone else because that just makes it harder.

You were the first person I told I needed a mammogram and the one who was there after my mammogram when I found out I needed a biopsy.  You were there when I had my mastectomy and stayed overnight in the hospital with me that night. You came to chemo with me twice, brought me to the ER twice. You just know when I need your help and you are always there without me having to ask. No one wants to have to take their child to the ER at 10 pm on Christmas Eve but you were there without hesitation. You always are. In college, I needed help moving and you were just there. I never had to ask; you just woke up Saturday and drove down to help me.

I’m so glad that we are best friends. There isn't another friend I can count on more than you because you are also my family. I am so lucky that I have that. When I think about me and Mackenzie in the future I pray that we have the same relationship that you and I have. I hope that I can be the unwavering support to her that you have always been for me. 

I'm not sure I could have made it through this cancer thing so well if it wasn't for you. I'm not going to pretend this was easy at all but some how I have been able to (mostly) maintain a positive attitude. I can't wait until this is all over and we can focus on better things, like beach houses and (hopefully) more grand kids. I love you mom. You're an incredible woman who I will always look up to and strive to be more like. 


On a different note. Today was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. Our team was AWESOME! Gretchen made tutu's, Angi brought head bands and Zenia did face paint. We looked AMAZING! It was supposed to rain all day today but the rain held out long enough for the race and for a little dancing at the end! Except for the super early wake up time, it was so fun. I wasn't sure if it would be hard or emotional to be there or not. There were moments were I felt the weight of what this diagnosis means. But fellow survivors would see me and smile or ask to take a picture with me or hug me and that felt great. I knew throughout this journey I have never been alone but to see others that are walking the same path I am was incredible. Thank you so much to everyone who supported our team and especially to my teammates, for putting this team together for me and for being there
 
Me and my girl. Also...can you see my hair?! 

Rowena and I

Team Kylez Krusaderz


Zenia and I

No comments:

Post a Comment