Saturday, July 21, 2012

The beginning

I decided that I finally needed to find a primary care doctor and made an appointment for July 11. I hadn't had a physical in about 10 years...they could find something HELLO!! During my exam my nurse practitioner did a breast exam which I thought was odd but went along with it. She stopped in one perticular area for too long and I knew she found something. She told me there was a lump and I needed a mammogram AND ultrasound. I scheduled my appointment for July 19 and hoped for the best.

On July 19th I went to have the mammogram and ultrasound. It was a LONG week to wait! During the ultrasound the radiologist told me that "they" were "very concerned" about the lump and she wanted me to have a biopsy done right then. I was sent back in to the waiting room while they got ready for the biopsy. I grabbed my phone from my little locker and went to the bathroom and broke down into sobs. What was going on?! Finally I thought I had pulled myself together enough to wait in the waiting room when my mom came back (she works in the hospital) and I just bust into tears all over again. I told her about the biopsy and kept asking "how could this be happening to me" over and over.

The biopsy wasn't as bad as I was picturing (either was the mammogram...GO GET ONE LADIES!). The only bad part was that the doctor was on one side and the ultrasound screen was on the other. The only thing for me to do was close my eyes!

I was referred to a surgeon and went on July 20th. She was very nice and kept using a lot of words my friends, family and I were trying to convince ourselves we didn't need to use-like cancer, radiation, chemo, surgery, ect. I took the genetics test for the breast cancer gene (BRAC/BRAT) which uses scope by the way so its pretty awesome and easy. My husband and I left the appointment with a prescription for blood to be drawn and an MRI scheduled for Monday and hope we would hear something by the end of the day (we didn't!).

This state of limbo is pretty terrible. I think most people working in the cancer field probably haven't had to wait for a pathology report to come back before and maybe thats why it takes so long. Why can't these people work 24/7???

So this is the beginning of the journey...of what we don't know. Hopefully nothing but probably something.

No comments:

Post a Comment