Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Weekend recap

Friday, I had my port put in. It was really weird because when I got back to the waiting area before the procedure I started to panic a little and realized that I really didn't know why I needed this or anything else about it really. I know why people get ports but I didn't know why I need it if I'm only going to have chemo 6 times. Questions you are supposed to ask your doctor BEFORE you have your port put in. I've heard great things about how easy it makes treatments so I guess I'll keep it for now (like I have a choice right??). The staff at Alexandria Hospital were great. It was a completely different experience then when we were there for George last year.

I was brought into the procedure room and was given a little versaid, my new best friend, and they prepped me. Last thing I remember was the doctor saying he was there and then I woke up to them talking about baseball. Versaid is good because when they stop it you wake up without feeling groggy.

We went home, I took a nap then we got ready to go out for our anniversary. We picked up Mackenzie and dropped her off with our friends for the night then went to J. Gilbert's. It's pretty hard to dress cute with my compression bra (I call it my chastity bra) and my neck saran wrapped but I did my best. Our dinner was delicious and sleeping in was awesome.
Can you tell I feel like I have a neck brace on?

Saturday we met our friends at the fire station open house then went to their house for lunch. Mackenzie is best friends with both of their kids so its so easy when we are with them. All the kids entertain themselves and the adults can chat almost uninterrupted!

Saturday night Mackenzie and I spent the night at my parents house. George had to work until 4am so I thought it would be easier for me to have some help and let him sleep in the morning. She is the sweetest girl (most of the time). She has her terrible two moments of course, but when I was laying next to her while she was falling asleep she kept holding my hand. She always checks on me and says I love you and good night about 10 times. Sunday, she was helping me get up from chairs and the couch. I didn't really need help but of course I will accept it from my precious child!

When George came to my parents house Sunday morning, the 3 of us went to Burke Nursery Pumpkin Playground. Mackenzie of course rode the pony.
We played on the slides, they rode the hay ride, she got her face painted and played a lot! Everyone gets a little pumpkin before you leave and she was so proud of her "baby pumpkin"


I'm still getting used to this port. Even though my mom took the "saran wrap" off Sunday it still feels stiff and sometimes like I have a neck brace on. I think I'm just over compensating for knowing there is something in my neck. Its too gross to think about! Hopefully in a couple days it will feel normal again. Now that I'm not really sore at all from my mastectomy it sucks to have this kind of start the soreness all over again. 

1 comment:

  1. Kyle, such a good weekend report! You are going to do great with the port and I am praying for you to have this all be a distant memory soon!!!! Amy :)

    ReplyDelete