Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Work

Today was day two back to work. So far its been great. I probably should have gone back to work last week but its hard to go back after being off for 6 weeks (1 week at the beach and 5 weeks post surgery). Luckily I work at the best place with the best people who are so understanding about time off and that I don't have the stamina I did before surgery to do the amount of work I usually do. So I'm easing back in slowly. I forgot how much fun my coworkers are. Its been taking my mind off of everything and I've been laughing a lot.

Lately on my mind a lot is surrogacy. We have to get through the egg retrieval process before we really start looking into finding a surrogate but I've still been researching laws. They are so different in every state and I think the law depends on where the surrogate/ gestational carrier lives and not where I live which is potentially a good thing. The laws in Virginia for gestational carriers are pretty strict (she has to be married and have at least 1 child) but laws in Maryland are pretty lenient. I'm not sure Maryland actually has any laws regarding surrogacy. But its totally banned in DC. After the egg retrieval, we probably need to meet with our fertility doctor and a lawyer to see exactly what we'll need to move forward (besides lots and lots of money).

I'm not sure that I'll be able to actually carry another pregnancy because my doctors wanted me to do progesterone injections once a week while pregnant from week 14/16- week 36ish. My cancer is estrogen and progesterone positive while means its fueled by those hormones and I'm not sure my doctors would want me to risk being pregnant (lots of estrogen) AND get injections for about 20 weeks of progesterone. Its something we'll have to consult with my doctors about and make a decision on in the future.

There's too much to think about and know about. Who knew 6 months ago I would really be thinking about using a surrogate! I thought I would just get pregnant again quickly like with Mackenzie and I'd have a little baby 9 months later (hopefully). So if you know anyone who wants to be pregnant just one more time but don't actually want another child, let them know I'm looking for an oven for my bun.

Its weird that I haven't had any doctors appointments this week. I have a 5 minute appointment Friday for them to check my port but that's it. Then Monday I have the plastic surgeon again but so far that's all that's scheduled. Once the fertility stuff starts I'll be there every couple of days for blood draws (wahoo my favorite!) and ultrasounds. These pictures show all the injections that I have to take. The box is huge and its full of needles and medication and a sharps box. Things I never wanted in my house! I have more medication to pick up at the pharmacy too. Its going to be a long 10-14 days when this starts but I'm ready to get it over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment