Saturday, October 6, 2012

Wigs, wigs, wigs

Since we got our great news on Wednesday I've been feeling great. A huge weight lifted off my shoulders! Friday my Aunt Julie took me out to lunch which was so fun. I've been turning down visitors a lot but I need to stop. It's nice to get out of the house and talk to someone besides myself all day! 

Today my mom picked Mackenzie and I up and we went to Farm Day in Falls Church. Mackenzie got to ride a pony, go on a hayride and go in the petting zoo. I say go in because she wouldn't pet anything. I pet a bunny and held a baby chicken which Mackenzie briefly poked in the eye pet. I'm excited that she is finally loving horses. Last year we went on a horse driven sleigh ride around Christmas time and she wanted nothing to do with the horses. This year she LOVES them! 


After the Farm Day, we drove to Fairfax and went to Bravadas wig shop. It was interesting. I thought I would be more upset but it was actually kind of fun. They were so nice and helpful. I tried on a lot of wigs. I thought I would want something that is really long like my hair now but I like one that's about shoulder length. I definitely knew I wanted to try a different color. Might as well try something new while you can since I would never die my natural hair color (it's too beautiful!). So we ordered the one below left in the brown (below right). I personally liked the blonde but I was talked out of it! 


The picture below makes me laugh. Obviously the hair line was off a little in the picture on the left. The one on the top right makes me look 20 years older. All the wigs look great on the heads but like clothes, they don't all look good on. I loved the color in the bottom right but I think it's a little too dark. But it will be winter so it could have worked. 


I'm definitely not looking forward to losing my hair. Besides the scars from my mastectomies, this is the visual sign that I am really sick. My doctor said my hair will start to fall out about 2.5 weeks after my first chemo treatment but I've heard as soon as 10 days. There's really no way to tell. It's going to be really hard to see the hair actually falling out and when it's finally time to shave my head. The guy who did my moms hair said we could rent out the back room of the salon, bring some champagne, and have a head shaving party. I love that idea. I've been trying to think of where I was actually going to have my head shaved because there is going to be a lot of tears and I really don't want to sit in the middle of a salon while others watch me. The back room (not like their storage closet, think private dressing room) of a salon sounds like a much better idea. That way I can cry it out, put on my wig and then feel fabulous. I think I'm going to see if I can donate my hair to locks of love before its shaved and at least try to help someone else out in the process (although real human hair wigs are in the THOUSANDS of dollars!). 

Very importantly my request is for people to NOT shave their heads with me. I know most women probably weren't thinking about doing it (even though Kelly Pickler did) but I just wanted to reinforce it. Obviously someone like George wouldn't be missing much hair if he decided to shave his head too but I'm not looking for any of my female friends to do this. Wigs are really freaking expensive! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kyle,

    I have spent some time reading your blog. You can learn from mine he trials of chemo and I have learned from you the surgery part. My bit of advice for your hair.....Shave it before it starts to fall out. I did not do this and I have given this information to everyone I know. It was a week worth of pain. Don't do it, just shave it and have lots of good friends and family with you! I wish you luck and will continue to check in on your blog. You are in my prayers!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete