Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The "R" Word

I have been very eagerly awaiting my appointment today with my radiation oncologist. I was hoping to get the news that I have been so desperately waiting for.

He did an exam on me and asked me some questions. He seemed pretty happy with how I was doing. He shouldn't be surprised. He called me an Olympic athlete the first time I met him. 

When the appointment seemed to be over and he asked if I had any questions I said "so can we start using the "R" word.  And he said...



YES, YOU ARE IN REMISSION!!! 

It has been 359 days since I was diagnosed with cancer. 6 days from it being a year and I am SO happy right now that this part of the journey is over! I know that I am forever going to live with cancer and that it will always be a part of my life but in between the doctors visits (which will be often), I can try to live a "normal" life.

In fact, I don't have another doctors appointment until September. And my radiation oncologist said I could come back in April/ May of next year!

My husband and I are going to spend the rest of the day celebrating and getting some things ready for the fundraiser. I'm more excited about the fundraiser than ever because I can officially say that I am in remission and we can really celebrate.

I am still so humbled to have been so supported by so many during the last 359 days. Its meant everything to me to get countless cards, presents and dinners for me and my family. We cannot thank you all enough!!

No comments:

Post a Comment