Sunday, August 5, 2012

Oh wait...I have cancer?

I've kind of forgot that I have cancer because I haven't seen a doctor since Wednesday. That's so unlike this journey so far! Tomorrow will be a fun filled day of MRI and meeting the oncologist. I was going to get my blood drawn too for my pre-surgery labs but I think that my labs from less than a month ago should still be good. Also I hate to have my blood drawn so any excuse not to have it done is fine by me. If the surgeons tell me I have to have it re-done then I will, of course, but until then I'm stalling!

I'm also going to stop by my surgeons office to get the results of my genetics test. They told me Friday that the lab is holding it hostage (apparently insurance only wants to cover the BRAC part and not the BART part) but the lab told me that the surgeons office has had the results since WEDNESDAY! Needless to say I was not happy on Friday when I found that out. I'm not sure where the miscommunication is coming from but I'll find out on Tuesday when I see the surgeon for my appointment. Hopefully we will also finalize the surgery date on that day. I kind of wish I had just picked August 8th and been done with it. Half of me wants it tomorrow and half of me wants it...umm...never?

I was also a little premature making my cancer binder because the great folks at Young Survival Coalition send you a cancer binder for free. Its pretty great. There is almost too much in there but that's better than  missing information. I'm all about anything I can get for free using the "cancer card" (hello free house cleaning!). I've gotten some great presents from friends and family recently too. T-Shirts (thanks Gretchen!), goodie bag full of fun things (thanks Christy!), flowers (thanks Mom and Dad), a beautiful gardenia bush (thanks Ryan) and most importantly a brand new Coach purse (thanks HUSBAND!). Who knew Coach made a breast cancer bag?!

Some how in the midst of all that's going on, I still managed to throw my husband a surprise 30th birthday party. I'm so thankful that everyone kept it a secret because I've been planning it for SO long! We all know that on top of binders, I LOVE party planning! It was a huge success. I was asked a couple times after my diagnosis if the party was still on and I said ABSOLUTELY! I'm not letting cancer stop me from celebrating a huge milestone for my family. If I ever had a question about if we are supported by a great group of friends and family, the question has been answered. We couldn't ask for more support. George was so happy and enjoyed his baseball/Yankee themed 30th birthday party!



No comments:

Post a Comment