Friday, August 17, 2012

Surgery Date

This week was emotionally and physically tiring. After our excursion on Tuesday I felt so sick the rest of the week. Today is a little bit better. For some reason it doesn't seem fair to have cancer AND poison ivy and then cancer AND a cold (in the middle of the summer).

On Wednesday, when I was home sick, the plastic surgeons office called me and told me that she heard I wanted to "reschedule" my surgery date. I went on to explain that I all ready have a vacation planned and I am going on it no matter what. She (Cami) told me that they didn't have any appointments for surgery next week but they could do the 30th or when I got back, the week of September 17th. Cami told me that I should be fine to have surgery on August 30th then go to the beach on September 8th (yeah right). She wasn't understanding that August 30th wasn't an option for me. Sure they could all show up that date but I would not be there. I kind of laid into Cami about how no one has called me to schedule a date before I went in there myself to schedule one. She said they've been working on but its so hard to schedule surgery with 2 doctors AND the operating room like I'm the first person to ever have this done. But how come no one asked me my schedule??

I then called the breast surgeons office and spoke with Cari who said the surgeon wanted to see me within the month and anything after "wasn't safe". Well way to scare me to death! Cari told me that the breast surgeon could schedule me for next week on Tuesday and that she would speak with the plastic surgeons office and call me back that day.

So then Thursday when I STILL hadn't heard back, I called the surgeons office and spoke with Cari who told me that the 2 doctors spoke to each other that morning at length and she would get back to me when she knew what they said. Super. FINALLY my doctor called me. I'm so glad she personally called. She told me that the surgery date was up to me and if I wanted to have it done next week they would figure out a way to do it. BUT she warned me that going to the beach after surgery probably wouldn't be the fun beach trip I would hope for since it's possible I would still have drains (gross) and I would have limited activity. She also told me that the cancer that's in my body on my surgery date will be the same cancer that's there today so it doesn't really make a difference if its before or after my trip. From the beginning she's told me that having surgery within 2 months of diagnosis is ideal and we'll be within that 2 month mark.

I felt SO much better after I talked to her. I let her know that the staff at the 2 offices were making me panic. I didn't understand why everyone was rushing all of the sudden when nothing happened for like 3 weeks! Surgery is set for September 18th at a so far unknown time. Honestly, the time doesn't really matter to me. I just REALLY want to get this over with. But I'm really happy that I'll have the chance to enjoy the beach and pool and can pretend for a week that I don't have cancer! Plus I have a ton of appointments to make/go to before my surgery date (another physical, fertility, blood draw, physical therapist) and now I don't have to totally rush. Although they do have to get done in the next 2 weeks...at least the physical and blood draw do. Luckily doctors offices are closed on the weekend and I can relax this week and deal with cancer again on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment